The Formula One teams are all waiting for a definitive answer that is expected to arrive in mid‑October regarding the fate of the season‑closing Grand Prix events in Qatar and Abu Dhabi. These two races, originally slated for the end of November and early December 2026, have been hanging in the balance for several months because of the ongoing conflict that erupted in the Middle East earlier this year.

The 2026 calendar currently lists 23 events, with the final two slots earmarked for the Qatar Grand Prix (November 27‑29) and the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (December 4‑6). Despite the geopolitical uncertainty, the races have not been removed from the schedule, and Sky Sports News reports that the organizers still intend to run them as planned. However, the sport’s governing body has identified Italy’s historic Imola circuit as a backup venue should the Middle Eastern rounds become untenable. Imola would step in as a contingency, and the Formula One organization has indicated it can afford to wait a little longer before making a final call.

During a recent F1 Commission meeting on Monday, team principals received reassurance that a clear decision would be communicated by mid‑October. At Thursday’s press conference in Baku, Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu explained, “I believe Stefano [Domenicali, the F1 president] is aiming to tell us in mid‑October so we all know what the situation is. I understand Imola is being prepared as a fallback, but we hope the baseline scenario holds and we can race in Qatar and Abu Dhabi as originally scheduled.

That would be ideal.” Audi’s former technical chief Mattia Binotto echoed the sentiment, adding, “We discussed it during the F1 Commission last Monday. Mid‑October is the final deadline for that decision.” Sky Sports’ Formula One correspondent Craig Slater provided further insight: “The latest information from leadership sources at Formula 1 confirms that both Qatar and Abu Dhabi remain on the calendar and the intention is to go ahead with them. If the stability in the region holds over the next few weeks, the races should be able to proceed.

Only a renewed deterioration would force a cancellation.” He also clarified the Imola contingency, stating that the circuit would not be automatically promoted at the expense of the Middle Eastern events. “Imola will serve as a backup if the last two races cannot run, and the sport will compensate the organizers for any financial losses incurred while preparing for a possible switch.” Slater concluded that teams expect a definitive update by mid‑October, urging fans and stakeholders to stay tuned. In Baku, Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton expressed personal optimism about returning to the Middle East. “I personally want to go.

I love going to the Middle East,” Hamilton said. “From what I’ve read, things seem OK out there, but I don’t have all the details, so I can’t assess the risk fully.

I trust Stefano to make the right decision for the sport, and I hope we get to race there.” He added that finishing the season in winter at Imola would present weather challenges and limited overtaking opportunities, noting, “Imola is a beautiful track, but it’s not a place where we expect a lot of passing, and more races are always better for the championship.” The broader context of this uncertainty is the lingering impact of the conflict that began in February, which has disrupted travel, logistics, and safety assessments for international sporting events. Formula One, with its global footprint and reliance on seamless transportation of cars, equipment, and personnel, must weigh the safety of its staff against contractual obligations and commercial interests tied to the Gulf states. Both Qatar and Abu Dhabi have invested heavily in state‑of‑the‑art facilities and lucrative hosting agreements, making the potential loss of these races a significant financial blow to the sport. If the mid‑October decision confirms that the Qatar and Abu Dhabi rounds will proceed, teams will need to finalize their logistical plans, including shipping cars and spare parts to the Middle East, arranging accommodations for crew members, and ensuring that all security protocols are satisfied.

Conversely, if the races are cancelled, Imola will have to be readied on short notice, requiring rapid coordination with Italian authorities, local promoters, and the F1 commercial team to meet broadcasting and ticketing commitments. The situation also has implications for the championship battle. A race in Qatar, known for its high‑speed desert layout and night‑time spectacle, often produces a different strategic dynamic compared to the high‑downforce, technical demands of the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi.

Drivers and engineers have been preparing distinct setups for each venue, and a sudden shift to Imola—a circuit with a mix of fast straights and tight corners—could alter the competitive balance in the final stretch of the season. Fans worldwide are watching closely, with many following the updates via Sky Sports, the official Formula One app, and social media channels.

The sport’s governing body has pledged transparency, promising to release a statement as soon as the situation stabilises enough to make an informed decision. Until then, teams will continue their preparations for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, which serves as the immediate focus for drivers, engineers, and broadcasters alike. The upcoming race weekend in Baku includes a packed schedule: F2 sprint and feature races, multiple practice sessions, qualifying, and post‑race analysis.

Sky Sports will broadcast the events live, offering fans a comprehensive look at the action on the streets of Azerbaijan while the broader question of the season’s conclusion remains unresolved. The outcome of the mid‑October decision will shape not only the final races but also the logistical and financial landscape of Formula One for years to come.