The Formula 1 paddock is currently awaiting a definitive answer that is expected to arrive in mid‑October regarding the fate of the season‑closing Grand Prix events slated for Qatar and Abu Dhabi. Both races are currently pencilled in for the end of the 2026 calendar – Qatar from 27 to 29 November and Abu Dhabi from 4 to 6 December – but the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, which erupted in February, has cast a lingering shadow over their viability. At present the two Middle‑Eastern rounds remain on the official schedule, which now lists 23 events for the year.
According to sources at Sky Sports News, the governing body still intends to run the races as originally planned, although a contingency plan is already being prepared. The backup option under discussion is Italy's historic Imola circuit, which could be slotted in to conclude the season should the situation in Qatar and the United Arab Emirates deteriorate to the point where the races become unsafe or logistically impossible. The F1 Commission convened on Monday, and team principals were given a clear timeline during Thursday's press conference at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. They were told that a final decision would be communicated by mid‑October, giving teams and organisers enough lead time to make the necessary arrangements, whether that means confirming the original venues or shifting the finale to Imola.
Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu summed up the sentiment in the paddock: "I believe Stefano [Domenicali, the F1 president] is targeting to tell us in mid‑October so we all know what the situation is. I believe that Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it there.
But hopefully things can stay as a baseline and we can go to Qatar and Abu Dhabi. That'd be really good." Audi’s former technical chief Mattia Binotto echoed the same timeline, noting, "We discussed it during the F1 Commission last Monday. Mid‑October is the last call for such a decision." Sky Sports' F1 correspondent Craig Slater provided further context, explaining that the leadership at Formula 1 still regards both Middle‑Eastern races as part of the calendar and intends to proceed if regional stability permits.
"If the situation on the ground remains stable over the next few weeks, the races will go ahead. Only a renewed deterioration would force a cancellation. Imola is a contingency, not a replacement, and any financial losses incurred by preparing Imola will be compensated by the sport." The teams, therefore, are watching the geopolitical developments closely, with the expectation that a clear directive will be issued by the middle of October.
Until then, preparations continue on multiple fronts – logistics, travel, and technical setups for both the Qatar and Abu Dhabi venues, as well as provisional planning for a possible Imola finale. In Baku, Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton voiced his personal hope that the sport would be able to return to the Middle East as scheduled. "I personally want to go.
I love going to the Middle East," he said. "From what I've read, I think things seem OK out there. But I don't have all the information so I don't know what the risk levels are.
I trust Stefano to make the right decision for the sport, but I do hope that we get to go there. Finishing in winter in Imola might not be the best weather-wise, and although it's a beautiful track, it doesn't offer the overtaking opportunities we love.
More races are always better." Beyond the strategic implications, the decision carries financial and commercial weight. The Qatar Grand Prix, a relatively new addition to the calendar, has become a key revenue generator for the sport, attracting significant sponsorship and broadcasting deals in the Gulf region. Abu Dhabi, on the other hand, is a long‑standing staple that traditionally hosts the season finale, providing a dramatic climax with its night‑time setting and high‑stakes championship battles.
Should the races be cancelled, the FIA has pledged to reimburse Imola organizers for any costs incurred in preparing for a potential last‑minute switch. This includes track upgrades, staffing, and promotional activities that would have been undertaken to meet F1 standards. The financial safety net is intended to mitigate the risk for the Italian venue and ensure that a fallback option does not become a financial burden. From a sporting perspective, the loss of the two Middle‑Eastern rounds would compress the championship timeline, potentially affecting driver and constructor strategies.
Teams that have been developing specific aerodynamic packages for the high‑downforce, low‑speed characteristics of the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi would need to adapt quickly to the very different demands of Imola, which favors a more balanced setup and offers fewer overtaking zones. Logistically, the shift would also impact travel plans for personnel, equipment, and fans.
The current itinerary involves a long haul from Baku to Qatar, followed by a short hop to Abu Dhabi, before the season wraps up. Replacing those legs with a trip to Imola would require a re‑routing of freight, re‑booking of accommodation, and a reshuffling of media commitments.
In summary, the F1 community is poised for a mid‑October announcement that will either confirm the continuation of the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grand Prix as the grand finale of the 2026 season or trigger a contingency plan that sees Imola step in as the final race. All parties – teams, drivers, organisers, and fans – remain hopeful that stability will return to the region, allowing the sport to finish the year on the high‑octane, globe‑spanning stage that has become its hallmark.